[57north-discuss] Laser

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Thu Jan 17 22:52:46 GMT 2019

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019, at 09:38, Peter wrote:
> The other owner of the laser cutter thought we could just download the
> software and use the dongle that we have.>
> On a very quick search I didn't find it, but I did find,
> https://www.scorchworks.com/K40whisperer/k40whisperer.html , which
> might be an alternative.>

I've had a bit of a play with the laser this evening.

The fan venting air from the compartment with the power supply and
control board was making a horrible noise. When I unscrewed it from the
case to get a look it stopped that and seems to be working normally now,
so it maybe just needed to be threatened a bit, abut it definitely
sounded unhealthy so I have ordered a replacement to swap in if it gets
noisy again (or dies completely).
Also the power button is decidedly mushy for the off side and didn't
always actually go off when switched that way. I think it's a DPST
switch but not sure if it's switching mains or something on the other
side of the PSU so need to do some more poking and wire tracing to get a
full spec. Could also do with some physical measurements to get a
replacement that'll fit the same hole.
I had a go with K40 Whisperer and was able to move the head around as I
wanted so as long as it can also switch the laser on as required it
looks like it'll work happily with the existing control board.
I think we could now hook up the cooling and extraction and try
the laser.
For anything more than small test fires I think the TOOD list is:
 - Something to get the heat out of the laser cooling water [0]
 - Temp and flow monitoring of that water [1]
 - Filtering the exhaust
 - Replacing mirrors

Robert

[] I'm thinking put a PC water cooling radiator in the path of the water
returning to the reservoir. Anyone see anything wrong with that idea? Or
have a better one?
[1] There is a flow sensor that looks like this
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Tu6Me2yYWHwMt6HR8 and I saw what looked
    like a onewire temp sensor in the box (I definitely have some of
    them if it wasn't). Anyone want to volunteer to make a temp + flow
    interlock/alarm?
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    argh.technology

Long periods of drought are always followed by rain.