[57north-announce] 57N Friday - Video Games Edition

Dave Hibberd d at vehibberd.com
Fri Jan 29 11:23:26 GMT 2021

Hey all!

It's Friday[1], and that means a contingent of us will be on Mumble from 8pm onwards. Come join!

To spice up the format, let's play some video games from 9 until close. That gives us time to have a drink, catch up and then we can focus on the logistics of falling out over video games.

I propose last year's viral hit, Among Us [2]. The premise is simple, there are 10 crew stranded on a spaceship, but two in the crew are secretly murderous imposters! As a crewman, you go about your daily tasks to keep the ship running. As an imposter, you have to secretly kill crewmates without getting caught!
If a crewman finds, and reports, a dead body, we have a meeting to discuss what you saw, who you saw, and whodunnit. Here, imposters can try and manipulate us away from thinking it's them. Vote to eject one of your fellow players from the ship, and go back to tasking/killing.

It's a simple game of both killing and lieing to your friends!
Cost is <£5 and it's available on Windows (fine on wine)/Mac/iOS/Android.

Once we tire of that, I suggest switching gears to Jackbox Games. Here's a quick overview on how to play [3]. This is a series of weird, fun social phone or tablet based mini games. I suspect we'll mostly be laughing at each other on mumble. Someone will stream the core of the game, I'd recommend sticking it on a tv or your laptop, and then using a second screen to do the active taking part.
We'll work it out as we go along, and they work well with alcohol. Plus, if it's on TV and your other half is in the room, they can take part too.
No need to spend money on this one.

Speak later <3

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
[2] https://innersloth.com/gameAmongUs.php