[57north-ctte] AGM

Edward Watson mail at edwardwatson.co.uk
Wed Apr 15 10:48:04 BST 2015

Thanks for putting this together Rob - my contributions added.  Fundraising
may or may not be relevant here, but added all the same.

After discussions late last night, Calum has provisionally agreed to
double-check my books todate against the dump of historical bank
transactions.  Please voice any objections re this if you have
them, otherwise I'll send across the workbook to him this eve.

Cheers,
Ed

On 15 April 2015 at 02:28, Robert McWilliam <rmcw at allmail.net> wrote:

> [...]
> contacting the membership to get feedback on their opinions of the
> space, the results of which can be seen at:
> http://lists.57north.co/pipermail/57north-discuss/2015-January/001625.html
> https://57north.co/w/images/9/96/57N_survey_summary.pdf
>
> There was also discussion of terminating members who were in arrears,
> social media and diversity policies for the space, and the board being
> in favour of delegating powers and responsibilities to members.
>
> This then set off the procedure of calling an EGM to make changes to
> our articles of association and look at the make up of the board.
>
> The EGM happened on the 13th of September 2014. Discussion covered
> removal of unpaid members, where it was noted that this is up to the
> board and not business for a general meeting, bringing in an
> additional membership rate, where it was concluded not to. Changes to
> the articles were discussed concluding that two changes were to be
> made: the addition of "Space Corp. Directives" as an alternative name
> for the articles and the modification of the clause relating to the
> operating of bank accounts to allow one signatory for transactions so
> that we can use online banking. These changes are now reflected in the
> articles on github and have been filed with companies house.
>
> The election of directors was agreed to be conducted via opavote.org
> and nominations were opened. We got 7 candidates and the election was
> held electing Edward Watson (nordin), Carl Anderson (noodle), Dave
> Hibberd (hibby), Robert McWilliam (ormiret), and Tom Jones
> (adventureloop).
>
> https://57north.org.uk/elections/2014/
>
> While the elections were in the nomination stage the existing board
> met to finalise the termination process for members who were behind on
> dues. This meeting took place on the 26th of September 2014 and
> terminated 15 memberships, with a further two members having
> surrendered their membership.
>
> The new board held it's first board meeting on the 25th October 2014
> and ran through a range of topics relating to the updating of various
> systems to reflect the changes to the board and articles coming from
> the EGM. There was discussion of our premises going forward - our
> current space has issues with access (both locks and the many stairs
> that need to be climbed). We are still looking for better
> alternatives, please raise any possibilities you might find. There was
> discussion of our policy regards keys for the front door to the
> building, with the agreement that we would allow any member who wanted
> one to have a key. It was also agreed to buy a new bin for the space.
>
> The final directors meeting happened on the 31st of January 2015. At
> this meeting the board agreed to look for an accountant to make sure
> we are doing our accounts correctly and file the appropriate details,
> there was discussion of the management of the space servers with
> agreement to do some sorting out of infrastructure services and to

To this end, the board agreed to fund a second Bitfolk VPS that should be
used for space-related web services in-place of member-owned servers.

> There was also agreement that decisions about changes to the space

should be taken via discussion on the -discuss mailing list and that the

board would do more to communicate the state of our finances to the
> membership.

## Fundraising

In September 2014, the space held a workshop for Aberdeen Techfest.  £240
pounds was collected from kit sales with over 25 visitors in attendance.

Also in September, the space held a fundraiser auction. £175 pounds was
collected over the open Tuesday event.

The space plans to have a workshop and showcase presence at the May
festival 2015 event hosted at Aberdeen University. Members are encouraged
to attend as volunteers to showcase any projects.