[57north-ctte] AGM

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Mar 30 22:50:11 BST 2015

I think the first choice out of the various expressed preferences would
be the 16th. If we go for that the announcement needs to go out
tomorrow (if I've managed to count to 14 correctly).

It's probably easiest for me to grab the list of emails for current
members from hackhub, so unless I hear enough objection to doing so
before then I'll send out the following announcement some time late
afternoon/early evening tomorrow.

Corrections/alterations for the announcement welcome.

The articles (clause 53) let us specify in the announcement how we
want proxy notices to be communicated to us. I've made up a procedure
and included it below but it could probably be improved...

--- Announcement begins ----

57 North Hacklab Ltd. Will be holding our Annual General Meeting (AGM)
at 19:30 on Thursday the 16th of April 2015 in the space, 3rd floor,
35A Union St, Aberdeen, AB11 5BN

Much of the procedure for the AGM (and other things about how we
operate as a company) are laid out in the Space Corp. Directives (see
clause 4) which can be obtained from Companies House or (if you trust
that they're going to match the official Space Corp. Directives):
https://github.com/hackerdeen/articles/raw/master/hacklab_articles.pdf

Our current membership count is 25, a quarter of 25 is 6.25 which is
more than 5 so quorum for the meeting will require 5 members (clause
44).

The AGM is intended to be a check that we are sticking to our legal
requirements rather than going through the day to day running of the
space (issues about the day to day running would be better raised on
the discuss mailing list).

Agenda for the meeting:

 - Election of meeting chair

 - Report on activities since last AGM

 - Treasurer's report

 - Election of directors

 - Any Other Competent Business

We are now accepting nominations for anyone who wishes to stand for
election as a director for the next year. Nominations can be made by
sending an email to 57north-announce at lists.57north.co stating that you
would like to stand (and some explanation of why) before the meeting
or by indicating that you want to stand when we get to that part of
the meeting. Email is not instantaneous, and can be subject to
glitches, so if sending your nomination by email please send it as
soon as possible.

The details of how the election of directors will be conducted will be
up to whoever is elected to chair the meeting (clauses 48, 51 and 52)
but will probably be something along the lines of: if we have less
than 5 candidates more nominations will be sought until we get to 5 or
more candidates.  If we have exactly 5 candidates at the AGM then they
will become the new board. If we have more than 5 candidates then
we'll have an election to decide who gets to be a director -
previously [0] we've done this with Meek STV via opavote.org, I'd be in
favour of using this method again if an election is needed.

If any member can't make the meeting there are a couple of things they
can do to participate should they wish to.

Any issues you'd like to have raised at the meeting can be sent to
57north-discuss at lists.57north.co or privately to any of the directors
or to the directors collectively at
57north-ctte-private at lists.57north.co (please make it clear you are
sending something you want raised at the AGM) and we will see that it
is brought up.

A proxy can be appointed to vote on your behalf at the meeting (see
Space Corp. Directives 47, 53 and 54). If you would like to appoint a
proxy please send an email to 57north-ctte-private at lists.57north.co
(preferably PGP signed) with

 - Your name and address (as it appears in the register of members
   (hackhub))

 - Who you would like to appoint as a proxy

 - That this is for the AGM on 16/4/2015

 - If you have any specifications for how the proxy is to act on your
   behalf.

The proxy should bring the same details to the meeting on paper and
signed by the member they are to act as a proxy for.

[0] https://57north.co/elections/2014/

--- Announcement ends ----

Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Rock doesn't create psychos, it helps psychos be more creative.