[57North] Bench power supplies

Calum Chisholm calum.chisholm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 17:42:24 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I mentioned briefly on Tuesday that old PC PSUs could be used as
quick-and-dirty bench power supplies (I assume we could rustle up a few of
those between us?). Dangerous Prototypes have a break-out board available
which simply plugs into a standard ATX connector:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/ATX_Breakout_Board

It breaks out the 3.3v, 5v, 12v and -12v lines, and -5v if the PSU supports
it.

The cheapest UK supplier appears to be this one (£12.79 inc. VAT):
http://www.phenoptix.com/products/dangerous-prototypes-atx-breakout-board-bench-power-supply

Alternatively, a local(-ish) supplier has them here for £16.56 inc. VAT:
http://proto-pic.co.uk/atx-breakout-board-bench-power-supply/

Acrylic cases are around a fiver.

They may not be suitable for all project types, but I'll leave it to
someone a bit more knowledgeable on the subject to judge whether it might
be worth investing in a couple for the space.

Cheers,
Calum