[57north-discuss] An interesting job vacancy

Tom Jones jones at sdf.org
Sat Dec 5 12:09:53 GMT 2015

This is a -discuss list, therefore I will discuss.

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 11:41:29AM +0000, dennis travers wrote:
> Robert Gordon UniversityStudio ManagerJob descriptionMAKE is a fab-lab that
> is being delivered by RGU in the centre of Aberdeen, through a partnership
> agreement with Aberdeen City Council. The facility has existing and growing
> high-tech manufacturing capacity and we are seeking an experienced individual
> to deliver and develop this important and exciting resource.

High-tech is a funny term.

> In this role you’ll be responsible for the day to day management of the MAKE
> facility. You’ll provide technical support as well as acting as the public
> 'face' of the MAKE facility. Additionally you’ll be the link between
> stakeholders and the University. You’ll already hold a degree in a Design/
> Architecture/ Engineering discipline and will have previous experience of
> delivering excellent customer service, as well as CAD design and design
> thinking.
>
> Working hours will be 37 hours per week and this will include Saturdays 10am
> - 5pm and Wednesdays 1pm - 8pm.

Sounds like the 'new' Make will operate that same difficult to manage hours.
There is a weird tear here between me wanting a resource that I don't have to
leave work to use and not forcing someone into working shitty hours.

Thankfully the space is available all hours and no one has to baby sit you.

> There are a restricted number of certificates of sponsorship available in the
> UK and there is no guarantee that the University would be able to obtain one
> should the successful candidate require one.

I am not a hr drone, could someone explain this paragraph?

> Salary: £23619-£25769
> Position Type: Full-time , Fixed Term 1 year(s)
> Closing Date: 18 December 2015

This isn't a good deal, this is what you would make running a corner super
market.

Anti social hours usually dictate financial benefits, this position doesn't
seem to. Maybe I am unreasonable, but this as described is not a good job offer.