[57north-discuss] [57north-announce] Tuesday! (Andy Gaskell)

Cameron Turner cam.turn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:28:15 GMT 2015

On 17 November 2015 at 22:12, joe mcvey <mcvey_joe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Thinking about sharing space, has anyone heard about men's sheds?

I strongly disagree with joining the space with an organisation
intended primarily for men, or having the space support such an
organisation. I believe that joining a male-centric organisation
would, among other things, be in conflict with our equality &
diversity goals.

Aside from the name and language used, I have a feeling that we would
not fit in culturally with Men's Sheds - hackspaces/makerspaces tend
to have their own culture separate from other "making" groups, with a
fairly heavy emphasis on electronics, computing and automation, and if
we were to join an umbrella organisation it'd be much preferable to
join one geared towards us specifically.

Shell