[57north-discuss] [57north-announce] Tuesday! (Andy Gaskell)

Iain R. Learmonth irl at fsfe.org
Wed Dec 16 14:58:21 GMT 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 02:28:15PM +0000, Cameron Turner wrote:
> On 17 November 2015 at 22:12, joe mcvey <mcvey_joe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Thinking about sharing space, has anyone heard about men's sheds?
>
> I strongly disagree with joining the space with an organisation
> intended primarily for men, or having the space support such an
> organisation. I believe that joining a male-centric organisation
> would, among other things, be in conflict with our equality &
> diversity goals.

+1

My belief however, as I have heard of these before, is that this is older
generations where sexism is fairly prevalent, to the extent that people in
those generations may not even be aware that in our progressive minds they
are being sexist.

I would give them an oppertunity to say something on the matter before
dismissing them entirely.

Thanks,
Iain.