[57north-discuss] Anniversary

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Aug 22 13:50:50 BST 2016

The 3rd anniversary of the founding of the space is some time soon, or
in the recent(ish) past: depends what you want to count as the founding.

I went through some of the old emails and pulled out some notable
events:
https://wiki.57north.org.uk/index.php/Founding

Anyone have any preferences for which of those (or others) we should
decide to commemorate? Any suggestions for what we should do (or have
done...)?

 I'm inclined towards picking the first meeting in the space as *the*
 anniversary. Mostly because Tom's minutes for it[0] are a thing of
 beauty.

I think we should also commemorate the anniversary of doorbot coming
into existence. It is horribly hacked together with the relay just
hanging on the end of its wire on an odd shaped bit of proto board, and
the use of bluetack (and sometimes white tack) to hold the latch open so
you can close the door. From the start it was intended to be replaced
Real Soon Now™ and three years later it's still there (with some minor
changes; the mag stripe reader has been replaced with GPG signed JSON).
I think that captures the hackspace ethos well enough that it should be
celebrated. And then *actually* replaced with something sane.

Robert

[0] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hackerdeen/nBd70p7vbLQ
--
Robert McWilliam      rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Apparently, three out of four people make up 75% of the population.