[57north-discuss] Anniversary

Edward Watson mail at edwardwatson.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 15:41:56 BST 2016

On 22 August 2016 at 13:50, Robert McWilliam <rmcw at allmail.net> wrote:
>Anyone have any preferences for which of those (or others) we should decide to
>commemorate? Any suggestions for what we should do (or have done...)?

Awesome, but no idea.

In terms of general commemoration events however, I vote for a
unorganised BYOD crappy infrastructure hackathon. I rather enjoyed the
last one.

With Doorbot on it's way up, we need more playful infrastructure that
barely very reliably works. hmm Item classes for competition can maybe
include:

Important classes
 - 'Keep us from going bust' class
 - bureaucracy-as-a-service website class
 - a fuzzy IRC bot class  (i.e. fridge beer temp or occupancy via CO2
sensing etc.)

'Un'portant classes
 - A fing-longer[i] class
 - am-too-well-arty trophy class
 - 'rebel without a' class

We'd need agreed pirate-padded criteria for each class beforehand...
but thats about it.

Hackers would aim to submit to at least two classes over the event or
as many as they wish, can prep/use existing project parts for
important classes beforehand but it must be at least partly built on
the day and tested as working before days end. Floating helpers are
welcome and contenders present at days end for votes to win the
winning 'important class' trophies (as made that day). Job done.

Just an idea. Feel free to flame it.

Cheers, Ed

PS
> [0] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/hackerdeen/nBd70p7vbLQ
extract: "We can use the safe as a fridge"
Aww.. bless the foolish optimism of the young.

[i] http://futurama.wikia.com/wiki/Fing-Longer