[57north-discuss] Anniversary

tj tj at enoti.me
Mon Aug 22 16:15:42 BST 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 03:41:56PM +0100, Edward Watson wrote:
> On 22 August 2016 at 13:50, Robert McWilliam <rmcw at allmail.net> wrote:
> >Anyone have any preferences for which of those (or others) we should decide to
> >commemorate? Any suggestions for what we should do (or have done...)?
>
> Awesome, but no idea.
>
> In terms of general commemoration events however, I vote for a
> unorganised BYOD crappy infrastructure hackathon. I rather enjoyed the
> last one.

I can't remember the first one, maybe it was something else?

Anyway a make the space better hackathon would be a great idea, I
already have plans for a 'n humans in space' detector.

> With Doorbot on it's way up, we need more playful infrastructure that
> barely very reliably works. hmm Item classes for competition can maybe
> include:
>
> Important classes
>  - 'Keep us from going bust' class
>  - bureaucracy-as-a-service website class
>  - a fuzzy IRC bot class  (i.e. fridge beer temp or occupancy via CO2
> sensing etc.)
>
> 'Un'portant classes
>  - A fing-longer[i] class
>  - am-too-well-arty trophy class
>  - 'rebel without a' class
>
> We'd need agreed pirate-padded criteria for each class beforehand...
> but thats about it.
>
> Hackers would aim to submit to at least two classes over the event or
> as many as they wish, can prep/use existing project parts for
> important classes beforehand but it must be at least partly built on
> the day and tested as working before days end. Floating helpers are
> welcome and contenders present at days end for votes to win the
> winning 'important class' trophies (as made that day). Job done.

A hackathon where we build improvements and install them later would
probably be the best idea, if we break the network it would probably
stop people being productive.

> Just an idea. Feel free to flame it.

What a weird choice of link indices </flame>