[57north-discuss] Space status on the website

tj tj at enoti.me
Tue Nov 22 16:06:53 GMT 2016

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 03:56:38PM +0000, Robert McWilliam wrote:
> I have taken the space status (open/closed + message) out of the header
> of the website. It had confused a few people into thinking that we were
> closed more permanently rather than just until someone opened the space
> again.
>
> I don't think the status adds much to people looking at the main site to
> see who we are or what we do, and for members (or others a bit more
> involved) there are plenty of other places to look up the status.
>
> If anyone wants a "fun" UI design challenge I'd be interested in what
> you can come up with for putting the status back on the site in a way
> that won't confuse people (I'm vetoing a wall of explanatory text).

I am at a complete loss, I really have no idea where the confusion comes
from.

Anyone know what other hackerspaces have? hackerspace.pl has this
notification currently:

	Sorry We're OPEN
	According to our instruments there are at least 3 people at the
	hackerspace right now.

Looking in the wayback machine I found:

	Sorry We're CLOSED
	According to our instruments there is probably no one at the
	hackerspace right now.

But the open/closed issue is still there, I don't think more words would
make this any clearer to the people that are getting confused.