[57north-discuss] [57north-announce] 2017-04-25 Open Tuesday!

Frank E. Davidson frank.davidson at imaris.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 25 16:21:57 BST 2017

I'll be along tonight.
If there's a T10 security Torx TR /hexalobular internal TR/ Torx Plus TRldriver in the space I'll be disassembling, inspecting and testing the 18650 Li cells in a Makita 1830 battery pack which failed on me on Sunday. I lost track of time and when I had last charged it and in haste used it on low charge. If I can find a CC source I'll try and get any cells with low charge up to a stage wher the charger will accept them. I'll poke around at the protection PCB and google component IDs for hack potential. The PCB can set a flag to the charger not to charge the pack which isn't reset even after cell replacement. I'm waiting for a parcel so unable to get to Gibby[']s['] tool shop for a driver.

I need to 3D print something from someone's public Onshape file. Has a means of cost allocation and payment for filament and use of the machine been established?

I've a 9V NiMH battery case to epoxy so will be schnorring a dab or three of the epoxy Ormiret is mixing.

I'll be trying to remember what projects I had thought of but allowed myself to be distracted from for over a year. Maybe time to see a proper GP for an Rx of methylphenidate or modenafil*.

Else I'll be drinking cheap coffee from my Thermos, eating potato crisps from the tucker and fiddling with an Arduino, NodeMCU and temperature sensor.
*OTOH maybe it's all the coffee.

To answer one of your rhetorical questions in a reductionist manner, it's more likely to have snow this time of year (in the presence of polar / Siberian wind and the polar Jetstream being at low latitude) than the end of December because of a longer period of low sunlight
Then there's Climate Disruption widely regarded by the vast majority of climate scientists to be anthropogenic caused by human consumption habits:

Reliance on Motor vehicles, air transport, shipping
Reliance on heating and refrigeration (134a GWP= 3800)
Tat manufacture
Urbanisation
Peat bog desctruction
Deforestation
Loss of habitat (IIRC particularly from c3/c4 grasses) to agriculture
Livestock production  leading to exchange of Alkanes (C2H4 GWP 72)
Agricultural methods leading to exchange of Hippy crack (GWP c. 290)
Arc Quenchers SF6 (GWP 32,000 at 500 years)
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
Not in any real order
What would it be like without rhetorical questions?