[57north-discuss] Barcodes!

Hibby d at vehibberd.com
Thu Feb 7 13:58:44 GMT 2019

Hi All!

As I slowly march towards barcoding the honesty bar (I think in the end I'm going to call it codeBar() or barCode() or some other such nonsense) I've hit a snag producing lists of things in barcodes!

What I'm trying to do is allow anyone to edit the plaintext list of producs/commands/accounts, run a script and be able to print new barcodes. This will then live on the group github or something. Sadly, GNU Barcode is a little broken, in that regardless of user input it is printing a set of barcodes to an arbitrarily sized piece of paper, which  in turn means that barcodes at the edges of a print are unusable due to margins. So far, what I can make it do is take in a text list of items and produce 3x folders of images - users, products and actions.

The next step has me baffled (granted, I've not put much thought into it) - can you think of a way to arrange all these images on to a 4x8 or 3x8 grid on an A4 sheet that we can then print off?

I think I want something along the lines of imagemagick montage [1]?

Has anyone used this - do you know of a way to ensure output is a specific page size?

Cheers,
Hx

[1] http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/
--