[57north-discuss] What's wrong with profit?

Andy Gaskell ag at ssofb.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 23:14:24 GMT 2019

Hiya

Yea, it's a tricky one, I did think twice before adding it in there.
I'd been meaning to go to one of their MeetUps, just to get a feel for
the thing, but not managed so far.  On the plus side, they happen in a
pub, on the negative side, they sounds quite corporate. 7th of March
is the next one, I'll try get along.
https://ti.to/codebase-edinburgh/one-codebase-meetup-5/

I'd stuck at the top...
"organisations that share a common geography, space and/or philosophy"
...but that is clear as mud really.  My thinking, with the page, was
that it might be the first step in bringing groups together to find
commonality.  Or, at least, as a less lofty goal be directory that
might occasionally be useful to our members.

So, anyway, it's not gonna save the world, but it might be slightly
useful sometimes :)

Thanks for the feedback and edits.

Cheers
Andy

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 21:59, Iain R. Learmonth <irl at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> I decided we should discuss this rather than me just changing it - whoever wrote it[0] obviously thought it was fine, I strongly disagree; so we should discuss it to see if there is a way to settle that disagreement.
> It is a wiki. Please change it as you wish. Your changes will be
> recorded in the history.
>
> Perhaps "for-profit" is the wrong term to use here, but it is not being
> run for the benefit of the local community to my understanding.
>
> If we just wanted a list of organizations that share geography then
> fine, but if we want a list of organizations that also share philosophy
> then I do not believe they belong here. Others may disagree.
>
> Thanks,
> Iain.

Andy Gaskell
Head Developer
Software Systems: Open For Business
Email: ag at ssofb.co.uk
Web: http://www.ssofb.co.uk
Mobile: 07745 924 449
Office: 01224 312857
Skype: andy_at_ssofb
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/agaskell
Office: 40 Raeden Park Road, Aberdeen, AB15 5LQ.
Limited company: SC347800