[57north-discuss] Reminder: Cryptonoise Thurs 19:00 @ 57North Hacklab Social Room

Iain R. Learmonth irl at fsfe.org
Wed Feb 27 19:50:27 GMT 2019

Hi All,

Just a reminder that this is happening *this Thursday*, which as I'm
writing this is tomorrow, but as you are reading may already be today.

Join us Thursday 28 February in Aberdeen when we'll hear from ORG’s
executive director Jim Killock about the current state of digital
censorship in the UK . We'll consider findings in ORG's new report on UK
Internet regulation which reviews both formal and informal pracitices of
digital censorship in the UK.

https://www.openrightsgroup.org/about/reports/uk-internet-regulation

When it comes to web blocking, the same rules do not apply online as
offline. Many powers and practices the government employs to remove
online content would be deemed unacceptable if they were applied to
offline publications.

We'll cover the following:

Formal censorship practices

 *  Copyright blocking injunctions
 *  BBFC pornography blocking
 *  BBFC requests to “Ancillary Service Providers”

Informal censorship practices

 *  Nominet domain suspensions
 *  The Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU)
 *  The Internet Watch Foundation (IWF)
 *  ISP content filtering

There will be an opportunity to ask questions and to find out how to
take action to fight digital censorship.

https://opentechcalendar.co.uk/event/8080-cryptonoise-aberdeen-digital-censorship-in-the-uk

https://www.meetup.com/ORG-Aberdeen/events/258910562/

Thanks,
Iain.