[57north-discuss] Anyone want to put a pi in a Zaurus?

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Tue May 14 00:17:58 BST 2019

When tidying up this evening I came across an old Sharp Zaurus (SL-5500). While hunting for a barrel plug that would fit it to see if it would still do anything I was wondering what it could actually be used for. It not having any network connections other than IRDA made me conclude: not a lot.

I got to thinking about ripping out it's guts and putting some more modern electronics in there. I'm pretty sure a pi zero would fit in the case (there is a lot of empty space at the top for the CF card slot). Some pictures of it with a banana pi zero for scale:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LsyiXcQi194QnubaA

I don't think I have the time to actually do this, so rather than me putting the zaurus back into the cupboard here for the day when I magically develop a load of free time and actually get that far through my project list: would anyone else like to have a go at it? Or even just open it up and have a look at the interfaces to screen and keyboard to see if they are something that could feasibly be connected to a pi?

Or does anyone have a use for an unmodified zaurus that may or may not still work (I never did find a barrel plug that fit)?