[57north-discuss] Radio for space

Tom Jones tj at enoti.me
Thu Dec 17 15:45:47 GMT 2020

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 03:39:01PM +0000, Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 17/12/2020 15:30, Tom Jones wrote:
> > I don't see the new capability this offers to the hackerspace.
>
> That's fine, I don't see the capability offered by the hot air station.
> Different people use the space for different things.

that is a shame, can you not think of any uses for the hot air station?

I can't see what NEW capability this offers over the £5000+ of radios
already owned by the space membership.

> This is not so much the purchase of a radio alone, this is towards
> setting up a usable shack that is available 24 hours a day for "drop in"
> and "zero setup" use by members.

There is already space in the hackerspace for a shack and it has radios
and can without too much hassle have antennas. What NEW capabilty does
this add?

I have been adjacent to a lot of radio this year and it is clear to me
that this offers anything new to what the space has other than it being
shiny.

> The goal is not just to have a radio, but to have it set up and
> documented in a way that it can be used. The antenna setup will be just
> as important as the radio, which we already mostly have and hibby has
> put a lot of work in to.
>
> > I think this amount of money would be better directed to a more general
> > fabrication tool, or hand/power tools than a specific item few people
> > can use.
>
> Ok, but the value to the hackerspace is not zero. Let's work out what a
> sensible contribution would be from the hackerspace and what a sensible
> contribution would be from members. It's also possible we don't hit
> enough pledges to buy it and we just don't buy it.

I think that is a good idea, get pledges towards the total and ask the
hackerspace to cover any shortfall.

I don't think it is correct for the space to be the first in this
negotiation.

- Tom