[57north-discuss] Unauthorised linked profiles to a BBC account

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Fri Nov 6 00:13:09 GMT 2020

On 05/11/2020 21:29, Edward Watson wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 19:51, Tony Travis
> <tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk> wrote:
>> I've had unauthorised child profiles linked to my BBC account,
>
> Hi Toni. Is it their 'Child mode' perhaps?
> https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/11217484/bbc-player-childrens-mode-kids-safe-how/
>
> I saw it on my IPlayer also and assumed it was for launching a version
> of Iplayer that was kid friendly.

Hi, Ed.

You're right, but apparently kids can like their profile to a 'parent's
account, which someone (presumably masquerading as a child) has done to
my account twice now... As I've said on IRC, I've changed my password
three times and set TFA on the account now, and reported it to the BBC.

Just concerned that someone/thing has been able to link a profile to
mine without an email being sent to the address assosciated with my
account. However, Shell is right that iff my email account has been
intercepted someone could snarf the relevant messages and approve the
link but that is really descending into paranoid conspiracy theory and I
don't consider it a very likely explanation.

Thanks all at 57North for your thoughts!

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk